If you are an adult who stammers and would like to see a Speech
and Language Therapist who specialises in working with stammering,
you can either self-refer or request referral via your GP.
For self-referral, please contact us by telephone or email.
Number: 01388 455 200.
Using the telephone can be daunting if you are a person who
stammers. You may wish to read the following information before you
call so you know what to expect.
1. When you call, you should select "Option 3" for "any
2. You will be asked for your name, DOB and/or NHS number
(don't worry if you don't know this).
3. You will be asked to confirm your address and telephone
4. You will be asked if you have a religion, what your
ethnicity is and what your main spoken language is.
5. You will also be asked if you want to share your
records with other clinical services.
6. Once the phone conversation is over, a member of the
admin team will create a referral and a therapist will look at this
then place you on a waiting list for therapy.
You will be invited to an initial appointment via letter.
If you would like to refer by email please use this template and
send it to:-
I would like to refer myself to the Adult Speech &
Language Therapy service for therapy for my stammer.
My details are as follows:
NHS No: (if known)
Contact Telephone number:
GP name and address:
'Every aspect of my emergency care was dealt with quickly,
efficiently and professionally with full explanations and
compassion from all staff involved'.
Patient, Emergency Department, Darlington Memorial Hospital