The Upper Gastro Intestinal (UGI) Clinical Nurse Specialists are
nurses with training and experience in caring for people with
gastrointestinal cancers. They work as part of a large team
of people involved in your care and treatment, including
consultants, doctors, nurses, dieticians and other health care
professionals. This is called a Multi- Disciplinary Team, or
'MDT' for short.
Your UGI Clinical Nurse Specialists can work with you in the
following ways and will:
* Be a central point of contact
* Provide information about UGI cancer, staging, investigations,
surgery and other treatments
* Offer you the time to discuss any worries or concerns
* Give ongoing advice and support to people with a diagnosis of
UGI cancer and to the people closest to them
* Assess your needs and help to ensure you get the right care
* Refer you to different services as needed
Some people may need to have treatment at other hospitals.
If this is the case, your UGI Clinical Nurse Specialists will
provide you with details of who to contact for support at the
hospital you attend.
UGI Clinical Nurse Specialists:
Leigh Davison (University Hospital of North Durham) - telephone
0191 333 2610
Their usual office hours are 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to
Friday. An answerphone service is available and they will
return all calls as soon as they can.
'Every aspect of my emergency care was dealt with quickly,
efficiently and professionally with full explanations and
compassion from all staff involved'.
Patient, Emergency Department, Darlington Memorial Hospital