County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust places cookies on your computer to improve our website. These cookies don't collect information that identifies a visitor and are all anonymous.� They are used to measure its performance and to provide enhancements to you while using the site. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our privacy policy. Close

What if my child has a hearing loss?

If a hearing loss is identified appropriate support and management will be provided. Depending on the nature of the hearing loss this may involve a monitoring period or fitting of a hearing aid.

If a child is found to have a temporary hearing loss, (for example, glue ear, causing a conductive hearing loss) then we may choose to monitor their hearing over a period of time.

If a persistent or permanent hearing loss is identified then we will discuss the use of amplification through a hearing aid. We will also refer the child to an ENT consultant for their medical opinion and we work closely with our education team to enable affective communication to assist in development both at home and in the school.

There are many different models of hearing aid available in various shapes, sizes, colours and the way in which they process the sound. We will assess the most appropriate style of hearing aid for each individual, looking at their hearing loss and any additional factors. Most hearing aids fit behind the ear and a custom earmould is manufactured to help hold the hearing aid in place and to carry the sound into the ear canal.

'As I was very, very nervous, I must have been the worst patient ever and they were brilliant with me and I can't thank them enough - could you please pass on my sincere thanks.'

Patient, Hysteroscopy Unit, Chester-le-Street Community Hospital